Coat Hook Project
With found materials I designed coat hooks with two parts that attach to the wall. These use plastic bottles and waste metal drying racks coated in plastic. as both materials are recycled it has a positive affect on the environment. These kinds of things can be recycled so when designing for small change, would using materials that are harder to recycle have a better effect as a product.
"You can leave your cap on" and recycle more
One million is the number of glass bottle aluminium screw tops used in the arc21 region annually and the group has launched a “You Can Leave Your Cap On” campaign to increase the numbers that are recycled. Aluminium screw tops have become increasingly popular on glass bottles such as wine, spirits and olive oil. The campaign aims to increase the recycling of aluminium bottle caps and collars by asking people to screw the tops back onto empty glass bottles before recycling them.
All aluminium and glass packaging is 100% recyclable; so every screw top and bottle deposited in Household Recycling Centres, community recycling centres and glass bottle banks can be transformed into something new, including more bottles, drink cans, mobile phones and even cars.
Glass Recycling Facts
- Each family uses an average of 500 glass bottles and jars annually.
- The largest glass furnace produces over 1 million glass bottles and jars per day.
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be reused over and over again.
- Glass that is thrown into landfills will never decompose, putting a great strain on landfills with too much glass content.
- Americans throw away around 28 billion glass bottles and jars per year.
- Milk bottles are used an average of 13 times before being recycled.
- The glass recycling level in the UK saves enough energy to launch 10 space shuttle missions.
- The average glass bottle is made up of as much as 25% recycled glass, green bottles however contain as much as 90%.
- The UK has more than 50,000 bottle banks with each bank capable of holding 3,000 bottles.
- 5 out of every 6 glass bottles are thrown away.
I designed them so that the packaging of the product was also shown. This is to remind people of big brands creating large amounts of recycling. Bottles from Pret, Tropicana and Ribena, all which are recognisable are ones i chose to use as consumers can recognise these symbols in the coat hook. The bottle caps were used to add a colourful dynamic, combined with the data label being wrapped around the dip coated metal.